Skip to main content

Gift of Peace


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you...
Do not let your hearts be troubled 
and do not be afraid. John 14:27


On the night before his death, Jesus he had a farewell talk with the disciples at the conclusion of the Last Supper. He predicted Peter denying him three times, he washed the disciple’s feet, and Judas had left. Talking about his coming death was no surprise considering the way he had stirred things up with the religious establishment. Naturally, the conversation was interrupted by the anxious questions of his disciples. What will happen to us once you are gone? 

Like any one of us, the disciples were agonizing over what seemed like uncontrollable events. They were certainly filled with fear and apprehension as they imagined terrorizing incidents. 

Jesus tells them God will send The Comforter who will help them remember what he has taught them. Then Jesus gives them a gift: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you..."

According to Wesley's notes this verse doesn’t mean don't worry or be troubled. It means have faith, hold onto, rely on, keep going and believing. 

It seems to me that when our souls are in turmoil because of out of control events, is the time we are really looking for a deep, lasting inner peace of mind and heart. That is the time to get grounded in Scripture and prayer to focus on Jesus' gift of the peace he gives.

I have definite soul-angst about the covid-19 pandemic. How long will it continue? How vulnerable are we even though we may take precautions? 

The only way I can see finding inner peace is through Jesus’ gift: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...