Skip to main content

The Magis' Message

"When they saw the star,
 they were overjoyed." 
Matthew 2:10

The Epiphany story is one of my favorites. I can imagine an entourage of three or more magi traveling 12 days following a star and arriving at Bethlehem. I can marvel at that since I make wrong turns following OnStar.

I can appreciate Mary's 12 days of rest and recovery after giving birth to Jesus. After all, it wasn't easy in her 9th month of pregnancy to walk 90 miles to Bethlehem. (Yes, walked. The Bible doesn't say anything about riding a donkey.)

I can marvel at the mystery of Jesus' baby gifts looking to the future: Gold symbolizing a king; frankincense symbolizing divinity; myrrh symbolizing suffering and death.

I can wonder at the surprise awaiting the magi after worshiping Jesus and presenting the gifts. An angel tells the magi to return home by a different way (hodos).  Hodos, a metaphor in Greek for human behavior, meaning follow the “narrow way” and “the way of righteousness” —a Godly lifestyle.

I can hear God calling us to join the magi following a new direction in our "way of righteousness". In this new direction of "the way of righteousness", God will shine light joy in our sadness, strength in times of weakness, hope in despair's darkness, and faith amidst doubt.

I am convinced God is leading us in this direction through Jesus life which illuminates the way of righteousness though his teaching and example.

What impacts your imagination most about the magi story?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...