Skip to main content

An Acceptable Fast

"Is not this the fast that I choose:
to loose the bonds of injustice,
to undo the thongs of the yoke,
to let the oppressed go free,
and to break every yoke?"
Isaiah 58:6

In my time of spiritual immaturity, I often chose to fast from chocolate. For some that's easy to do because they are not chocoholics as I am. So fasting from chocolate for Lent is no big deal for them. 

In one church I announced I was fasting from chocolate for Lent. The folks in the church thought it would be fun to see if they could "lead me into temptation" by offering chocolate goodies at coffee hour. I did not "yield unto temptation."

On Easter Sunday one family invited Elaine and me to dinner. It was a well prepared meal with typical Easter offerings. And for dessert? A THICK, CREAMY, HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE PIE!

This, of course, is not what fasting is about. Isaiah makes that clear in vs.6 where the Lord has defined an acceptable fast.  Isaiah 58's criticism is for people who they are  concerned about appearing outwardly righteous. After the destruction of Jerusalem, fast days were kept on a regular basis asking the Lord for forgiveness and blessing. However, the fasts are full of violence and oppression of workers, so Isaiah condemns the fast days.

This passage could strike a chord with our own times. Consider those who claim to keep a fast but don't practice peace and justice. Consider self-professed Christians happily enjoying relaxation at the expense of exhausting others at home and abroad. Consider how the international economy exploits and disempowers labor in favor of capital. 

It seems to me that an acceptable fast is caring for the hungry, thirsty, sick and in prison.

I regard acceptable fasting as refraining from words and actions that hurt as well as negative emotions and attitudes. It is consoling, offering hope, bringing light into the darkness of a soul.

What other thoughts do you have about an acceptable fast?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...