Skip to main content

Growing in God

 

Philip asked the Ethiopian, 
“Do you understand what you're reading?” 
He replied,“ How can I,
unless someone guides me?” 
Acts 8:30-31 

I think these short sketches show the God of Abraham planting a desire for growing in God's love without boundaries
  
I had questions while reading the novel, No Heaven for Good Boys. Questions like, Who are talibe? What is a daara? What is a marabout? 

Knowing no one from Senegal, I googled "talibe". They are students, ages 6 to 15, sent to a daara (school) to memorize the Quran taught by a marabout (teacher of Quaran). 

A dangerous part of the experience includes begging in city streets for rice, sugar cubes, and money to cover the needs of the daara and marabout. Failure to meet goals often results in punishment.

In Philips' story, an Ethiopian eunuch, a passenger in a chariot, is reading Isaiah 53:7-8. He is wealthy, politically powerful, scripture-reading, and God-worshiping.

An angel sends Philp to the Gaza road and the Spirit directs him to join a chariot. Obeying the Spirit, Philip catches up to it and asks, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 

The Ethiopian says, "How can I unless someone guides me." Philip climbs into the chariot, sit beside him for Bible study and interprets the scripture because there is more than one "correct" meaning.

My responsibility as Pastor meant teaching a Confirmation class. I met with high school students teaching them by using the Apostle's Creed and the Scriptures. This was intended to enrich their understanding of their baptism vows. The conclusion of the class was renewing their baptism vows before the congregation. 

Imagine this; an exploited talibe boy, a marginalized Ethiopian eunuch with Philip, a confirmation class. Three different teaching/learning experiences in three different cultures with the purpose of growing in the love and knowledge of God.

Think about this during the week: How is God growing you in your love and knowledge of God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...