Skip to main content

God's Whirlwind Answer

"Then the Lord answered Job 
out of the whirlwind:
'Who is this that darkens counsel 
by words without knowledge?
Gird up your loins like a man, 
I will question you, 
and you shall declare to me.'" 
Job 38:1-2

I love a reading a good mystery by authors such as Martin Walker, Louise Penny, and Tana French. 

Each of their stories follow a pattern. There is a crime, a cast of characters, and a solution to the crime.

Life  can be like that.  A tragedy occurs, a cast of characters surrounds the victim offering comfort, and a resolution appears.

Sometimes, though, there doesn't seem to be a conclusion and we ask ourselves, "Where are you God?"

When Bad Things Happen to Good People is a book by rabbi Harold Kushner whose son, Aaron, who died at the age of 14 of the incurable genetic disease progeria. Rabbi Kushner asks the question most of us would ask during a tragedy, "Where are you God?"

That's what the Book of Job is about: tragedy, characters, resolution.

The mystery begins as Job, a righteous man, loses everything and endures suffering and chaos. Three friends tell him he deserves the suffering because of his sin. 

Job doesn't buy into this. 

Job, protesting to God, lists ways he's a righteous man demanding an answer from God. "What's Going on God? What have I done to deserve all this?"

God's whirlwind answer asks Job where he was during Creation when God created an order and structure in the universe. There is meaning in the order and structure.

Job realizes that, because he isn't God, he doesn't know or understand everything. First he heard, now he sees.

Sometimes a tragedy is a mystery because it's part of being human. We don't know or understand everything.

God's whirlwind answer to us is this: 
    Whatever the tragedy, I am with you. 
    When you protest, I am listening. 
    In your chaos, I am structure.
In your darkness. I am light. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...