Skip to main content

Sustained by the Lord


'It was no messenger or angel
but his presence that saved them;
in his love and pity 
it was he who redeemed them;
he lifted them up and carried 
them all the days of old."
(from Isaiah 63:7-9)

The week of December 13, 2025, was one filled with tragedy and violence.

The tragedy and violence began when a gunman entered Brown University and began firing on students taking their final exams resulting in two student deaths, and nine seriously wounded.

The motivation of the shooting at Brown University seemed to be related to a professor at M.I.T.

As the weekend progressed, two gunmen attacked Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, resulting in 15 deaths with numerous wounded. Occurring on first night of Hanukkah, the probable motivated was anti-Semitism

The most tragic event, for me as a fan of “All In The Family”, was the murder of Rob Rainer and his wife by their son.

With this difficult week of tragic events and senseless violence, I began searching the Scriptures for stories of God’s faithfulness in tragedy.

As I read through the Exodus story with the Israelites facing hardship and distress, God remained their savior and stood by them, living among them keeping an unwavering presence.

Continuing past Exodus, God sends messengers – angels- to intervene and act on behalf of God’s people: God stopped Abraham from sacrificing Isaac, guided Lot out of Sodom, sent Gabriel with a message to Daniel, to Zachariah, Mary, Joseph, and shepherds.

God, however, was personally involved in the fullness of salvation.

Hebrews 13:5-6 reminds us God’s promise remains true: 

“I will never leave you nor forsake you”.

Isaiah 46:4 reminds us of God’s promise:

Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

As tragedy and violence unfold around us, God’s mercy and presence sustains us.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...