Skip to main content

The Day When I Called

"On the day I called, 
you answered me, 
you increased my strength of soul."

Elaine's mother, at age 97, was living through her last days suffering terribly with spinal multiple myeloma. She wanted to die at home, so a hospital bed was rented and home health services were called in. On the day the ambulance brought her home, she insisted on walking into the house, not carried on a stretcher. She must have been in excruciating pain.

The psalms call this "a day of trouble"(Psalm 20:1) Someone is going through a really tough time.

The term “day of trouble” is vague on purpose. It can mean times of physical illness, spiritual struggle, financial peril, or military threat.

This crisis is also known as a “day when I call.” Times of crisis are also times of prayer when a suffering person or people “cry out” to the Lord.

In this psalm, the poet has, by the grace of God, been brought through the "day of trouble". 

When referring to the "strength of the soul" the poet is most likely referring to a physically recovery. It is more like " “I once was weak, but now I’m strong.” 

The psalm ends, "the steadfast love of the Lord endure forever." 

In other words, not only has the Lord brought the poet through "day of trouble", so also will the Lord bring others through what ever crisis is before them.

Whatever our "day of trouble", the unwavering love of God will see us through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...