Skip to main content

Going On to Perfection

Dingmans Ferry
Prayer Grove
Remember
Ukraine
And all of us, with unveiled faces,
seeing the glory of the Lord
as though reflected in a mirror,
are being transformed
into the same image
from one degree of glory to another. 


Imagine for a minute you have loaded up the car for a four hour drive to Wherever Park. The kids are really excited imagining it as a fun place to be for a week. Then two hours into the drive you hear from the back seat:

"Are we there yet?"

Behind my former church is a hill rising from a field making it a great winter sliding place.  One Sunday the youth group planned to go tubing and build a small jump for excitement. After MUCH coaxing, I chose to take my turn. Forgetting I was 65 and not 16, I picked up a tube, sat down and off I went. After 2 seconds of sliding, I realized I had no clue about guiding a tube. I slid out of control, flew over the jump, got separated from the tube and ended up in some bushes. 

I was there!


"Going on to perfection" is one of Wesley's teachings about God's grace.

Going on to perfection is much more than practicing something until you get it right. I could practice tubing for a long time and never slide flawlessly.

Going on to perfection Wesley believed, is through Sanctifying grace, which is the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit, as we follow Jesus towards union with God. 

As Paul says, it changes us "from one degree of glory to another".

Sometimes life can be like rough tubing. 

We find ourselves on a downhill slide realizing life is out of control and we don't know what to do. We hit a bump and go flying.

Going on to perfection, we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, give thanks to God, and continue on our way following Jesus.

The rough tubing has ended in knowing we are loved by God as Jesus taught. 

Jesus says you'll make it. God loves you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...