Skip to main content

Secure in God's Hands

"You show me the path of life.
In your presence there is fullness of joy;
in your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
(from Psalm 16)

When I am looking to draw closer to God's presence, places I choose are mountains or hills with panoramic overviews. 

Another place I go when I am looking for a greater sense of God's presence is by water. Sometimes it's the "still waters" of a lake or gentle stream. Other times it's by the vastness of the sea. 

By sitting quietly and absorbing the awesome beauty, I sense God's presence. I sense a peace that passes understanding.

Perhaps, though, you may not have mountains, hills, rivers, lakes or the sea nearby.

I believe reading the Psalms is another way to draw closer to God. They describe human thoughts and feelings with a desire to create an intimacy with God.

For a moment, imagine yourself as someone who feels a need for God’s protection and refuge.

You open your Bible to Psalm 16 and begin reading.

You are joining with others who have prayed, sung, chanted or studied these words since the 5th century BC.

Like them, you are asking God to keep you safe because you know that no matter where you are, you can find refuge in God.

You know this because God has provided a portion and cup and boundary lines.

So you bless God for the gifts of counsel and conscience that kept you from the wrong paths in life.

Looking at the ways God has kept you safe, you praise God whatever the future holds, because you know you are secure in God’s hands.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...