Skip to main content

Fear Not

My Preaching Bible
“Do not be afraid, little flock,
 for it is your Father’s good pleasure
 to give you the kingdom."
"For where your treasure is,
there your heart will be also."

Don't be afraid?

Looking around I see plenty to fear as violence erupts in our everyday lives, society, and the world. 

I see fear on the faces of children running from a school shooting and someone with a military rifle shooting into a crowded concert.

I've encountered the violence of racism, dealt with domestic and sexual abuse both physically and psychologically.

This hardly looks to me like the kingdom of peace God desires or promises. 

I know, Jesus' followers feared plenty from persecution by Roman authorities: destroying property, inciting hatred, imprisonment, to name a few.

I know, Jesus tells his "little flock" not to fear because God will be delighted in giving them the kingdom.

Sell your stuff, Jesus says, pack your bags, light your lamp, stay alert, the Master will invite you his table when he arrives.

In other words, be ready for God's call to Gospel action.

For me, my Preaching Bible is the spark lighting my lamp and counseling me to stay alert for God's call to Gospel action.

Jesus' stories, teachings, and life help me see Gospel action opportunities and increase my energy to act through healing, justice, love, grace, peace, etc.

Gospel action is courageously bringing our fears from our own experiences to Jesus knowing God will give you the peace of the kingdom you need.

I can assure you from my own experience, God is present receiving your fears then giving you your needed gifts for peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...