Skip to main content

Commitment to Jesus

 “Whoever comes to me 
and does not hate father and mother,
 wife and children, brothers and sisters,
 yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple.
(from Luke 14:24-33)


I wonder why Jesus is making such a harsh statement when his ministry was about love of God and neighbor?

Consider this:
Imagine yourself at a Billy Graham Crusade.
There is lots of singing, and a challenging message that concludes with an invitation to come forward and make a commitment to Jesus.

You respond to the invitation, go forward, and are met with one to the team who then explains the next steps you have to take.

It's a first century setting like this in which Jesus makes statements about the sacrifice of being a disciple.

He's using the word "hate" as a hyperbole to stress the importance of discipleship.

We sacrifice according to our priorities. 

Jesus says the Kingdom of God he proclaims and the kingdom life of which he is an example should be a priority even with its difficult choices.

When we pray: “Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven,” then we need to make the sacrifices and set the priorities to bring it about.

This will have consequences.

When I began talking with some church members about abortion, my point of view was not well received.

Yet, I believe that I must continue speaking out for my point of view because that's how one lives in God's kingdom.

I respect other's points of view because in God's kingdom love of God and neighbor take priority.

At some point I may experience a verbal crucifixion from someone with a different point of view, but I know that when I love and serve God as Jesus declares, crucifixion will lead to a new, transformed life of peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...