Skip to main content

God's Light; Social Breakdown.

The man born blind answered,
“I do not know whether he is a sinner.
One thing I do know,
that though I was blind, now I see."

Going on a cave tour, the guide turned off the lights leaving us in total darkness literally unable to see our hand in front of our faces.

I couldn't see any members of the group. 

I was totally focused on my safety.

When the lights came back on, I could see my hand in front of my face, other group members, the cave's unique features, and a sense of security.

In the darkness no perspective; in the light is reality.

It was probably a lonely experience for the blind man who's at others' mercy, lacking a sense of security, begging, and excluded from temple worship. 

By God's Grace, Jesus, sees the blind man's situation, heals him and sends him to wash in the pool of Siloam.

The blind man, interrogated by his neighbors, in frustration says, "One thing I do know, though I was blind, now I see."

I'm convinced there's a darkness in our society caused by a communication breakdown resulting in racism, gender conflicts, violence, and social isolation.

I also see all sorts of analysis and perspectives for resolution to this darkness, most of which seem beyond my comprehension as solutions.

By the Grace of God, one thing I do know, Jesus brings healing and hope to this social breakdown.

In a way, it's like the tour guide turning on the lights again. 

We have gone from complete darkness, to the subdued lights of the cave, to the completed tour, and into the radiance of God's sunlight.

We have gone from social breakdown to the brightness of God's love and justice.

Think about it: What has God provided for you along life’s journey for your strength, healing and inspiration?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...