Skip to main content

Pressing Toward the Goal

I do not consider that I have made it my own;
but this one thing I do:
forgetting what lies behind and
straining forward to what lies ahead,
I press on toward the goal for the prize
of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.

Each Summer Elaine and I would load our car with food, outdoor gear and stuff and head to Southwest Harbor, ME. for a seaside, spiritual retreat.

Sometimes we traveled scenic Route 2 through New Hampshire and Maine, other times Interstates 84, 495 and 95. 

Each Route provided vistas of hills and valleys as well as urban buildings and traffic.

Yet there was an "are we there yet?" sense to the journey.

As a Pastor, Elaine and I had been on the move for many years knowing there would be another move to another church, so there really wasn't a sense of having arrived or finally getting there.

The Apostle Paul describes his relationship with Christ as one of being "on the move" writing, "I press on toward the goal."

This is an "are we there yet?" as he presses on, moving from his accomplishments to the goal he wishes to obtain.

John Wesley would call this "going on to perfection" striving for the goal of "the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus".

Being on a journey is a major theme in the Scriptures and a description of our lives which includes vistas and urban traffic on our way to "perfection".

Knowing Christ is pressing toward our heavenly call realizing that no one has arrived yet, everyone is on a journey going on to perfection.

Think about it: what have been the vistas or urban traffic in your pressing toward perfection?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...