Feb 19, 2024

Chocolates and Temptation

And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness.
He was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan;
and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him.
( from Mark 1:9-15)

I am unquestionably a chocolate lover.

That’s why Snowflakes Chocolates in Jericho, Vt. gets a huge order of truffles, Santa faces, angels, and nonpareils for Christmas.

It’s why I scan the baked goods at coffee time for chocolate goodies.

So, it may seem when I announce to the congregation that I’m giving up chocolate for Lent, it’s a big sacrifice.

Temptations follow the announcement as folks goad me by adding chocolate items to the refreshment table.

Will I or won’t I succumb to their temptations?

I am also unquestionably one who “searches the Scriptures”, as Wesley called it.

In the pain and tumult of our times, I am longing for God to set things right.

So, I search the scriptures looking beyond chocolate to a non-chocolate reality to holy disruption where God is setting things right.

My first indication of God setting things right is Jesus’ baptism.

The heavens are torn open; a Divine voice speaks; the Spirit descends immediately casting Jesus out into the wilderness to confront Satan’s temptations.

This is a forty-day, life-or-death struggle in the wilderness of vulnerability.

Another indication of God setting things right is Jesus’ struggle in the wilderness, where wild beasts show up and Angels minister to him.

Emerging unscathed from that test and struggle, Jesus begins preaching the gospel of God saying:The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news”

Jesus is announcing God’s purposes in the coming reign: the healings, the freedom from bondage to evil, forgiveness, and the call to transformation.

As I long for God to set things right, I keep my eyes on Jesus as live under God's reign, envisioning that future.

Think About ItThe voice from heaven calls Jesus “Beloved.” What does Jesus’ belovedness mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment