Skip to main content

Chocolates and Temptation

And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness.
He was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan;
and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him.
( from Mark 1:9-15)

I am unquestionably a chocolate lover.

That’s why Snowflakes Chocolates in Jericho, Vt. gets a huge order of truffles, Santa faces, angels, and nonpareils for Christmas.

It’s why I scan the baked goods at coffee time for chocolate goodies.

So, it may seem when I announce to the congregation that I’m giving up chocolate for Lent, it’s a big sacrifice.

Temptations follow the announcement as folks goad me by adding chocolate items to the refreshment table.

Will I or won’t I succumb to their temptations?

I am also unquestionably one who “searches the Scriptures”, as Wesley called it.

In the pain and tumult of our times, I am longing for God to set things right.

So, I search the scriptures looking beyond chocolate to a non-chocolate reality to holy disruption where God is setting things right.

My first indication of God setting things right is Jesus’ baptism.

The heavens are torn open; a Divine voice speaks; the Spirit descends immediately casting Jesus out into the wilderness to confront Satan’s temptations.

This is a forty-day, life-or-death struggle in the wilderness of vulnerability.

Another indication of God setting things right is Jesus’ struggle in the wilderness, where wild beasts show up and Angels minister to him.

Emerging unscathed from that test and struggle, Jesus begins preaching the gospel of God saying: “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news”

Jesus is announcing God’s purposes in the coming reign: the healings, the freedom from bondage to evil, forgiveness, and the call to transformation.

As I long for God to set things right, I keep my eyes on Jesus as live under God's reign, envisioning that future.

Think About It: The voice from heaven calls Jesus “Beloved.” What does Jesus’ belovedness mean to you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...