Skip to main content

Where Hope Is Found


Since, then, you have been raised with Christ,
set your hearts on things above, where Christ is,
seated at the right hand of God.
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
(from Colossians 3:1-4)

Every once in a while, I’ll ponder the desire to purchase a new laptop which mans I’ll go to Consumer Reports for their evaluations.

Then I discover laptops of all types with all sorts of internal data I know nothing about ranging in price from a few hundred dollars to a few thousands.

At this point my thrifty inner self says, “Do you really need that?” You have a good computer and smartphone.

Life in the “earthly things”, our secular age, is about looking to our concrete, material accomplishments for satisfaction, without expecting God to be part of their lives.

Sooner or later, it seems, we’ll be asking “what’s the point?”

So, I have the latest, newest, or best laptop, is it as meaningful as I’d hoped?

If it’s not, what significance is there in our daily routine, relationships, and even our lives?

Where’s the hope?

What I understand Paul to be saying is when you “Set your minds on things above” you are trusting in God’s promises.

Hope is in God promise that when we are striving but failing to find meaning in our efforts, God is there.

Hope is when God is with us as we blunder through the “things below” and then using them for some greater good.

Hope means it doesn’t matter how deep the pain or suffering; no tear shed, no frustration, hurt, or loss, no tragedy –is ignored or unnoticed by God.

Paul says that this kind of hope does not disappoint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...