Jesus sent the disciples into a storm.
That statement may surprise us, but Matthew tells us that Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and head across the lake.
Before long, raging winds and waves tormented them. The sea became their
classroom, and the storm became their teacher.
As they battled through the night, Jesus came walking on the
water and declared, "Take heart; I AM. Do not be afraid."
The phrase translated "It is I" is
literally "I AM" (ego eimi in Greek). Jesus was not
merely identifying Himself. He was echoing the divine name God revealed to
Moses in Exodus 3:14: “I AM WHO I AM.”
None of us enjoys tests. We would rather learn through comfort than hardship. Yet some lessons can only be learned in the crucible of trial.
The disciples had seen Jesus feed the five thousand, but they had not
yet fully understood who Jesus was. It took a violent storm for them to see Jesus’
power in a deeper way.
Peter learned this lesson personally.
Stepping out of the boat, he experienced both faith and failure.
When he began to sink, he cried, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately, Jesus reached out his hand and rescued him.
Peter learned what many of us learn in times of testing: when our strength
fails, Christ remains faithful.
The storm did not simply test the disciples; it transformed
them. By the end of the journey, they worshiped Jesus, saying, "Truly
you are the Son of God."
God’s deepest work is often done in demanding moments.
The
lessons we learn in the crucible of the test are often the lessons that shape
our faith for a lifetime.
Comments
Post a Comment