Skip to main content

Choices

Deuteronomy 30:15 
"See, I have set before you today
 life and prosperity, death and adversity....
choose life"

That seems like an  easy choice. If we're given the option of life or death, wouldn't we naturally choose life? After all the urge to live is very strong. Creatures of all sorts do all they can to stay alive.

Until we find ourselves in a situation of chaotic crisis. Then what?

The pandemic clearly defines choices. How much social distancing do I need to do? Am I safe in and outdoor crowd? Do I really need to wear a mask outdoors?  Do I really need to stay at home since I feel don't sick? Can I make my own choice to do what I want since everything seems to be just a recommendation? For some, the options are confusing. Do we listen to local politicians telling us what we want to hear or the board of health saying the opposite?

In  Deuteronomy, Moses is not simply talking about being alive and deciding to keep body and soul together in a crisis. Moses is talking about obedience to God’s teachings and faithfulness in worshiping God. In other words, keep the covenant God made by walking in his ways, and observing the commandments.

And how do you do that?

In verse 20 Moses gives 3 ways. First, choose life by loving the Lord your God, with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.

Second, choose life by walking in God's ways and listening to God's voice.

Third, choose life by keeping God’s commands and holding fast to God. Act in appropriate ways toward each other and God.

In other words, we are God's people. God established a covenant with Abraham and God establishes a covenant with us through our baptism.

This is the way of life through this chaotic chaos.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...