Skip to main content

On Being Tested

Psalm 66:12
"we went through fire and through water; 
yet you have brought us out to a spacious place."

 The writer of Psalm 66 obviously thinks God is behind all the suffering Israel endured. The writer believes God punishes for sins committed. That is why the writer says in Verse 10, "For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried; you brought us into the net; you laid burdens on our backs; you let people ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water."

I don't think for a minute that a merciful God brings on the scourge of a  Pandemic to determine whether we are good or bad people. Neither do I think Covid-19 is a punishment for sin. 

I do think life circumstances can feel like a test.  Every time I put on a mask and breathing becomes more difficult, it feels like a test. When I get disturbed by cabin fever, it feels like a test. When Elaine and I go grocery shopping and see empty shelves, it feels like a test. Not of whether I can breathe, or how I will handle confinement, or endure changes, or see empty shelves, but of how I will react. Will I be able to endure the downward burden my soul feels?  Will I be able to maintain my faith? Do I see God at work?

It is here that verse 12 helps me see the Goodness of the Lord. "you have brought us out to a spacious place" A merciful God sends the Spirit to strengthen us through refiners fire and floods that leads us to a spacious place of God's hope. The writer of the psalm says it this way, "But truly God has listened; he has given heed to the words of my prayer. Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed his steadfast love from me.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...