Skip to main content

The Coming Righteous Branch

"In those days and at that time 
I will cause a righteous Branch 
to spring up for David; 
and he shall execute 
justice and righteousness in the land." 
Jeremiah 33:15

I waited with hope in an emergency room on a Friday afternoon. The bandages for my dermatology surgery were coming loose and I felt needed attention. I checked into the emergency room and waited. I knew triage was how the system worked and that I was low on an emergency need. I waited for intake from the triage nurse, then for the room, then for the NP to examine the situation, then for the issue to be resolved, then for the discharge papers. 

I knew from the moment I entered the emergency room that I would be taken care of, but not how long it would take.

I waited with a blessed assurance.

Jeremiah waited with hope, a tenacious hope, for a righteous Branch from the line of David.

For Jeremiah, imprisoned by his own government for prophesying doom is bad enough, but it gets even worse. He's forced to serve his prison sentence in the middle of a foreign invasion. 

He speaks a tenacious word of hope, of a coming righteous Branch, to counteract all of the depressing, despairing conflicting evidence. And that is its power.

We wait with an Advent hope.  

Maybe the saving act of God isn't all that obvious to us. Maybe we can't see beyond the darkness of the violence or the despair of injustice around us. Maybe we don't experience great losses such as job, security, of home. 

God's promise through Jeremiah
says in the midst of darkness, light is about to break in. In the midst of despair, hope will erupt. After long tenacious waiting, a branch will sprout. 

God’s promises haven't happened yet, but a righteous Branch is coming.

Like Jeremiah, we need to speak these words of hope! Especially this Advent!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...