Skip to main content

Between Two Kingdoms

Acadia NP trail marker
"Then Pilate entered the headquarters again,
 summoned Jesus, and asked him, 
“Are you the King of the Jews?”
John 18:33

In 1925, Pope Pius XI established a new liturgical tradition, the Feast of Christ the King.

The Pope felt that the followers of Christ were being lured away by the growing secularism of the world. They were choosing to live in the “kingdom” of the world rather than in the reign of God.

This scripture (available here) for the new liturgical tradition is the scene of Pilate before Jesus. 

The scene is tense as Pilate tries navigating between understanding his empire and Jesus's kingdom.

Look at two contrasts:
On one hand: Pilate’s authority comes from the will of Caesar and is always tenuous.
On the other: Jesus’ authority comes from doing the will of God, and is eternal.
OR
On one hand: Pilate’s rule brings terror, even in the midst of calm.
On the other: Jesus’ rule brings peace, even in the midst of terror. 

We live in a culture intensely divided by politics, social status, race, gender, and religion probably becoming more intensified. 

This seems like a good time for a checkup to see which kingdom has a greater influence on us.

John Wesley's asks:
  • Am I doing all the good I can, 
  • by all the means I can, 
  • in all the ways I can, 
  • in all the places I can, 
  • at all the times I can, 
  • to all the people I can, 
  • as long as ever I can.
Or as Prof Lucy Hogan from Wesley Seminary asks:
  • How do I live in the realm of God following the faithful servant?
  • How do I reach out to the least and the lost?
  • How do I seek to serve rather than be served?
As we navigate between the commercial kingdom of Christmas Shopping and Jesus' Realm of Peace, which one is having the greater influence?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...