Skip to main content

Dreaming of Peace

"Blessed is the king
 who comes in the 
name of the Lord!"
 
A modern version of a very ancient Palm Sunday tradition begins with gathering outside the church. The pastor reads the scriptures about Jesus entering Jerusalem. 

With palm branches in hand, people walk to the church entrance.

The pastor knocks on the door, there's a dialog between people in the procession and those seated in the sanctuary.  

 People enter and take their seats singing "All glory laud and honor ". 

The service continues with scripture, prayer, and preaching. 

Holy Communion follows the sermon, the lights are turned off, the altar is "cleansed" by removing the communion elements, candles, and cloth. 

The final hymn is "Where you there?"

Where do you see yourself in this drama? 
    In the crowd cheering Jesus entering Jerusalem? 
    At the table of cup and loaf with him? 
    Standing faithfully at the foot of the cross?

As for me, with the atrocities I see in Ukraine, the bombed-out buildings, the refugee crowded trains and buses escaping air raids, I stand in the crowd.

I, like the crowd, dream of peace beyond that of tanks, fighter planes, drones and missiles.

I dream of a peace that changes human hearts by overturning the old order of sin, evil, and death.

Sin, evil and death are the enemies breaking our hearts, twisting our souls, and taking our loved ones from us.

As I watch this drama unfold, I see the bigger story of salvation. 

From palms to table to cross, I see the bigger story of salvation by hoping in Jesus.

For no matter where you are, in the cheering crowd, seated at the table, or beneath the cross, hope in Jesus. 

No matter what part of the old order weighs you down, hope in Jesus.

Hope in Jesus.

This is the bigger story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...