Skip to main content

Lifting Hearts in Hope

I am about to do a new thing; 
now it springs forth, 
do you not perceive it?

For over 10 years, Elaine and I attended a Congregational church during our annual Maine retreat. It seemed to be a lively church with about 100 in worship. Then the church went into a barren land. The pastor and 95% of the attenders left. Seeking meaningful worship, we attended a local Episcopal church. The music, liturgy, sermon, and Holy Communion revealed a live church. Through this church I was able to connect with a pastor I had lost contact with. 

As I look back on this journey, I can see God was doing a new thing. From the darkness of one church to light in another to reestablishing a good friendship.

When Isaiah spoke of God doing a new thing, it was based on what God had done.  God freed the Israelites from Egyptian slavery and led them through the wilderness to the Promised land.

God heard their cries, saw oppression, and responded with justice and compassion by meeting them in this darkest of places. 

I see this ancient story which inspired hope thousands of years ago inspiring today us in our dark times.

God's new thing inspires us to look hopefully beyond our present darkness by understanding our current reality as temporary.  

God's new thing is lifting our hearts into the light of hope.

Whatever physical, emotional, or spiritual darkness we may be experiencing, God is doing a new thing as the light of hope springs forth, even if we don't perceive it.

I believe with certainty; God is freeing us from dark places to a new places of life of hope.

Reflect on the times God has freed you from darkness to the light of hope, even when you didn't see it at the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...