Skip to main content

God’s Presence and Refuge

Kerak Castle, al Kerak, Jordan
"God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth should change,
though the mountains shake
 in the heart of the sea."
(from psalm 46)

I am writing this reflection the day after the violent attack on Paul Pelosi which, although is shocking to me, is not surprising.

It feels as though the foundation of the sane society I grew up with is changing and shaking as it becomes more violent, racist, and divided.

Kerak Castle is a mighty fortress atop a firm foundation in al Kerak, Jordan

Built in 1149 CE by Crusaders, captured by Muslims in 1189, it changed hands over the centuries and used in World War I.

It's location, dominating the surrounding area and protected by deep ravines, made it an ideal defense.

Damaged by a recent earthquake, the ravines, part of its strength, could now cause its destruction. 

The mighty fortress with the firm foundation, could now collapse.

As I reflect on the event, Psalm 46 is a source of hope beginning with "God is our refuge and strength".

It proclaims the Word of the Lord, God’s protection, is greater than any fort we build, is a strong, steadfast promise.

That's why, when I'm struggling with something, prayerfully searching the scriptures brings me a sense of God's hope.

Having gained a sense of hope, I read God is "a very present help in times of trouble. Therefore, we will not fear."

Verse 10 says, “Be still, and know that I am God!"  Meaning to stop and wait patiently before the Lord. (Psalm 37:7) 

In the midst of the chaos around us, when we stop and wait patiently, God will proclaim, "I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth." therefore I will not fear.

I don't know when the next shocking, but not surprising event will happen, but I know God's a refuge and strength therefore I have nothing to fear!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...