Skip to main content

Mustard Seeds and Mulberry Trees

The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” 
The Lord replied, “If you had faith 
the size of a mustard seed, 
you could say to this mulberry tree, 
‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you'

I can empathize with the apostles who asked Jesus, "Increase our faith!" as people suffering from Hurricane Ian.

As I watched people wading through floods, surveying damage, and enduring without power, they probably wondered how much faith was needed to make it through their experience.

The apostles had seen the works that Jesus had done and the determination he had to live as the Holy one of God.

As apostles, they knew their mission was to carry on Jesus' work and that they needed more faith to build God's kingdom as he was.

And so, they asked for more faith.

So, Jesus uses the images of a mustard seed and a mulberry tree to help them understand they are asking for the wrong thing.

Jesus understands it's not about having 25% or 50% more faith instead it's about using what you do have such as a seed.

For me the song: "Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow" better describes how faith grows.

It seems to me that a person feels their faith growing as you move forward with a life based on prayer, which leads to action, which proclaims the kingdom of God.

I think about faith as practicing what I know, considering appropriate action, and by grace, my faith will grow in breadth and depth as I work to build God's kingdom.

I don't believe I'll ever plant a mulberry tree in the ocean, but I'm confident that, by God's grace, my faith will grow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...