Skip to main content

Jesus’ Prayer for Disciples

"And now I am no longer in the world,
but they are in the world,
and I am coming to you.
Holy Father, protect them in your name
that you have given me,
so that they may be one, as we are one."
( from John 17:1-11)


My prayer life began with this simple bedtime prayer:
    Now I lay me down to sleep,
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep;
    Angels watch me through the night,
    And wake me with the morning light.
    Amen.

My journey continued as I learned the Lord's Prayer and finally the Church taught me the Collect for Purity.

My basic conviction about prayer is this:
God hears prayers: God answers prayers: in God's way: in God's time.

For example, my daily prayer for our church, based on Psalm 126:4 is, "Restore her fortunes, O Lord, like the waters of the Negeb".

I know God hears that prayer and answers it.

I don't know God's way. 

What will restored fortunes be? More members? New members? None of these? Something I can't contemplate or see?

I don't know God's time.

Since God is eternal, are the fortunes restored? Being restored? Restored in an unseen future?

It seems to me that, finally, seeing an answer may not be God's way.

Unanswered prayers, therefore, may simply be recognized answers.

Rather, I feel faithfulness in prayer is God's way. 

I think this is especially true as I look at the world around me and see a its' brokenness and suffering. 

Jesus' prayer for disciples encourages me because I am confident God is answering it.

Just as God's answer to Jesus' prayer is a maturing in my prayer life, so it can be for others.

And so, I pray daily, in Jesus' name, that God continues to help my prayers and the prayers of others mature to include all situations of pain and brokenness.

Think about it: What is your greatest challenge in nurturing your prayer life as a follower of Jesus today??



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...