Skip to main content

Who Am I God?

"When I look at your heavens, 
the work of your fingers, 
the moon and the stars that you have established;
what are human beings that you are mindful of them, 
mortals that you care for them?"
(from Psalm 8)

"Who am I, God, compared to all this beauty that you have made?”

That was the question Shauna Hannan asked while driving through the Canadian Rockies … alone … in a blizzard … in a white car … with no cell phone reception. 

"Who am I compared to all of this majesty and wonder?" 

She knew she could get swallowed up by the strength and power of the blizzard surrounding her. 

This was a cry of desperation as well as awe. 

What are human beings that you are aware of them?

The feeling of insignificance may happen much simpler circumstances.

Behind the last church I served is an open field providing a vast view of the night sky.

Often as I walked from the parsonage to the church for an evening meeting, I would look up and see this night sky filled with stars and occasionally the Northern Lights.

It was an incredible display of the vastness and power of God.

Who am I, God, that in the great scheme of the heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, that you would call me to pastor this church you created?

I am, we all are, surrounded by God's love, grace, and majestic creation, questions and all.

The psalm says each of us has a role in God's plan:
    "Yet you have made us a little lower than God, and crowned us with glory and honor.
    You have given us dominion over the works of your hands."

Ultimately, though our purpose is praise of God:
"O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth!"

Think about it: In what areas of life do you feel called to exercise a kind of dominion that honors God’s dominion?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...