Skip to main content

Living by Holy Loving

" And now faith, hope, 
and love abide,
these three; 
and the greatest of
 these is love."

How many times I have used this scripture in a wedding as a sort of biblical guideline for a solid marriage. Follow these words of advice from the apostle Paul, I say, and you will live happily ever after.

Not really.

I chose this photo from a wedding, which, for the boy, gives him a new parent. Adjustments are in his future.

I imagine this would be the apostle Paul's reaction if he heard these verses used in a wedding.

That's because he was writing to the Corinthian church experiencing deep divisions because of moral and ethical issues. He wanted new life for the church based on higher righteousness and honorable principles. 

He is convinced, that with holy loving at the center, people in the church could co-exist  and attain these higher principles. Holy loving, Paul believed, would create, sustain, and build Christian unity among the Corinthians.

In reality, holy loving isn't easy.

Holy loving is easy to say, but a whole other thing practicing it.

The boy's face represented mine when a new worshipper offered a prayer request based, in my view, on a conspiracy theory with unintentional, inflammatory wording.

I cringed.

I also realized our church reflects society with a variety of opinions, but the same Lord.

Challenged by Paul to live by holy loving I spoke with the person after worship. I said I disagree with the prayer request, but it would be fruitful to know each other better as worshipping members of the church.

Next Sunday, even if a "conspiracy theory prayer" is offered, I will ask the person how the week went.

My prayer is that this small act of holy loving will create, sustain, and build Christian unity within our church.

How has God put this challenge to holy loving before you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...