Skip to main content

Remember, You Are Baptized

 "The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus 
in bodily form like a dove. 
And a voice came from heaven, 
“You are my Son, the Beloved; 
with you I am well pleased.”

I have great expectations for 2022.

But, I am not naïve. I have just lived through an unimaginable year.



That's why the Sunday we renew our baptism vows is so important to me.

I am reminded, along with the whole church, I have promised to "resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves."

John the Baptizer, makes it clear some "wrath to come" is possible, especially for the hungry. We ask, like the people gathered at the river, "What then should we do?"

John declares, "Repent and be baptized."

Repent means to turn away from involvement with the old age's values of evil, injustice and oppression and turn towards God's coming age in Jesus Christ.

In this setting, Jesus comes to John for baptism indicating his turning from the old age to God's new age.

Jesus goes into the water, is baptized and the Holy Spirit descends on him. A voice declares, "This is my Son the Beloved"

God's new age is beginning. Look at the life and teachings of Jesus Christ to see it.

Our baptism by water and the Spirit, assures us our we will make a difference in bringing about the new age of Christ and overcoming the old age's rulers. 

When I see someone say their vows, be baptized with water and the Holy Spirit, I am reminded of the hope and power in God's new age in Jesus Christ.

I am reminded of people like Elaine who work for the coming of Christ's new age. For over 45 years Elaine has been living out her baptism covenant of "resisting evil, injustice, and oppression" through feeding the hungry. 

Whatever this year brings, remember, you are baptized. You have s role in "resisting evil, injustice, and oppression 

Remember, you are baptized.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...