Skip to main content

God's Power in Forgiveness


Happy are those whose
 transgression is forgiven, 
whose sin is covered.
(From Psalm 32 )

One Sunday, after preaching a sermon on sin and forgiveness, a church member said to me, "I'm a nice person and do good things.  I don't' think I sinned yesterday and I know I haven't
today. Why do I need to pray for forgiveness?

Sadly, when the concept of sin is based on social offences, bad behaviors, or some vice, the concepts of sin and forgiveness are very limited.  

Probably none of us has fully loved God with all our hearts, souls, strength, and minds, nor our neighbor as ourselves 

And so we pray, 
Merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in 
thought, word, and deed,
 by what we have done and
 what we have left undone. 

Sin is a persistent force in our lives.

It doesn't take me much to think of what I have left undone. I don't mean little projects around the house. I mean showing appreciation for something someone's done.

It doesn't take much to recall angry or hurtful words or thoughts either.

But if sin is persistent, so is God's forgiveness.

An Old Testament pattern goes like this: God's people turn away; God forgives and the cycle repeats. Transgression.  Forgiveness. Transgression. Forgiveness.

Because he understood the power of God's forgiveness, John Wesley recommended that Methodists meet weekly to confess their sins to one another. He said "confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another that ye may be healed"

Now, Behold the butterfly. Through metamorphoses is changes from a cocoon to something beautiful. Something bound to something free.

I believe that when we truly accept who we are, recognizing our human limits, by confessing to our limits to God we are set free live a new way of life. 

Will we mess up?  Yes.

Will God forgive us? Yes.

Thanks be to God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...