Skip to main content

Thirsting for God

Desert's Hand, Chile
O God, you are my God,
I seek you, my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land
 where there is no water.
(from Psalm 63)

For what do you thirst?

Currently I am receiving physical therapy to improve my balance. The therapist works me through a set of exercises designed to strengthen certain leg muscles and sensitize my brain. 

After completing some of the exercises, the therapist pauses and asks me if  I need to rest or need water. Usually, I am doing fine and don't need either.

The image above suggests to me that we can experience a profound stillness and isolation. 

This isn't such a bad thing because the Desert Fathers have shown that stillness and isolation can motivate us to reflect on the things which satisfy our deep thirst.

The poet of Psalm 63 says it's his soul that thirsts for God. The poet is looking everywhere to satisfy the thirst and it feels like searching in places where there is no water.

Finally, the poet concludes it is the steadfast love of God that will satisfy the deepest, most profound thirst.

The message of hope in the poet's writing is that because of God's unfailing love, our souls' thirst will be satisfied.

In my first church there was a retired, single Math teacher living in the desert of cancer. She had received chemo multiple times, but it was apparent the cancer was continuing to conquer her body.

She was well aware of this.

I visited her regularly for conversation, prayer and scripture reading.  Her favorite verses were from Psalm 121:
"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help?
My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth."

Her soul was thirsting for God and God satisfied that deepest thirst through the poet's writing in Psalm 121.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...