Skip to main content

Seeking God

Remember
Ukraine
Astico Gardens
Acaia, NP 
“Come,” my heart says,
“seek his face!”
Your face, Lord, do I seek.
(from Psalm 27)


 I clearly remember the time I told the church I was giving up chocolate for Lent. Immediately after the service a little girl approached me and said, "I hate chocolate!!!" 

What followed was an organized effort to have as many chocolate goodies at Coffee Time as possible. Pastor, are you going to yield to temptation?

I don't buy into sacrificing something for Lent that society tells us we need. 

Instead, I see Lent as looking at my spiritual life and asking what needs attention?
 
Is it "search the Scriptures" through Bible reading and study?

Is it acts social justice as Micah 6:8 points out?

Our urge to seek the Lord comes from an awareness of distance. We are aware that we haven't fully completed our spiritual journey in to "the house of the Lord."

Compare a journey to my physical trials. I have an issue with balance which means I walk well on smooth surfaces, but when walking on rough places, such as my lawn, I need a walking stick. 

In other words, I see a Cristian journey as having smooth places with an easier journey and rough places requiring more determination and assistance. Our journey has places where we have to lean on something.

Each of us has to draw on our own inner resources of faith going through the rough places as well as celebrating the smooth places

Our hope and strength are in knowing God is with us.

The poet of the Psalm 27 shares encouragement saying: 
    For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling.
And then again:
    I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    In the land of the living.

The poet reminds us, from personal experience, that when seeking the Lord's face, God is with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...