Apr 22, 2024

Restoring Your Soul

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
   He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
   he restores my soul."
(from  Psalm 23)

Lectio Divina, is a method involving reading, meditating, and praying Scripture verses aiming to help people connect more deeply with God. 

 

There are four basic steps: 

1.    Reading the Scripture passage several times slowly listening for God's small voice.

2.   Thinking about how it applies to your life.

3.   Praying and opening your heart to God

4.   Being still and listening for what God is saying to you.

As I read Psalm 23, two words stand out for me; water and soul.

Places where I have been quiet and listening for what God may be saying are the shore and waterfalls.

At the rocky shore of Acadia, N.P., God speaks through the rhythm of the waves rolling against the rocks in sets of three.

God says, the rhythm will remain the same no matter if the seas are calm or stormy; your is consistently restored even in my times of life’s inconsistencies.

I live near several beautiful waterfalls, some large and flowing, some small and merely a trickle.

When I walk to Dingmans Falls, my favorite, sometimes, after rainstorms, the water is gushing majestically.

Sometimes, after a long spell without rain, there is still be a splendid flow down the height of the waterfall.

God restores my soul through the roar of thundering waters pouring down after rainstorms by saying, “it’s ok to express your anger in my presence.”

God restores my soul through a quiet flow saying, “I’m still here, listen to what I have to say.”

I invite you to take some Lectio Divina time listening for what God is saying to you through reviving your soul. 



No comments:

Post a Comment