Skip to main content

Thomas' Need to Know

So the other disciples told Thomas, “We have seen the Lord.”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands,
and put my finger in the mark of the nails
and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

You’d have to see it to believe it!!!

I have a 60-year-old automatic watch my father gave me for college graduation.

The watch, like me, slowed down, needs repair, and requires a specialist compelling me to do an internet search for a repair shop fixing antiques and vintage timepieces.

I located a shop about 20 miles away claiming to repair antique and vintage watches.

Entering the shop, I was amazed to see a collection of grandfather clocks, mantle clocks, wall clocks, and a collection of antique vintage watches.

It's an astonishing collection!!

You’d have to see it to believe it!!!

The only way to experience my amazement, you MUST go there! (133 S Courtland St, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301)

 That’s how it was with Mary and the disciples behind the locked doors fearing for their lives.

Mary makes this astounding announcement “I have seen the Lord.”

Remarkably, Jesus enters the room saying, “Peace be with you” breathes the Holy Spirit on them commissioning them to serve in his name.

The disciples rejoice seeing him especially when Jesus shows his hands and feet confirming this is how one recognizes the Risen Lord.

Thomas, slightly skeptical and probably brokenhearted, needs to rejoice as the disciples have, so he says, I need to see Jesus to believe it.

Understanding Thomas’ needs to know more in his faith journey, Jesus again stands among the disciples meeting Thomas’ need by showing his hand and side.

Sometimes we have to see it to believe it by trusting Jesus will show up in whatever locked rooms we see be them an evil, an injustice, an oppression, or our own locked rooms.

It’s by trusting, through Word and Sacrament, that Jesus will show up we can believe God’s peaceful kingdom will reign.

   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...