Skip to main content

A Sunday Pilgrimage Song

"As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master,
as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes look to the Lord our God,
until he has mercy upon us."
(from Psalm 123)

My way of "observing the Sabbath to keep it holy" (Ex.20.8) is by attending church somewhere on Sunday. 

When I am away, I usually locate a nearby United Methodist Church, or occasionally a Baptist, Presbyterian, or Episcopal church to experience the Spirit moving differently within them.

I make this Sunday Pilgrimage out of two needs, the first is by looking to God helps me focus on heaven where God is crowned as creator and ruler over all the earth.

Just as the servant and maid look hopefully to the master for providing, so I look hopefully to God for providing a sign of divine mercy as God completes God’s purposes for the world.

The second need comes from seeing a world filled with contempt by people in authority looking down on those around them.

The arrogant looking at the servants and maids in contempt and only look out for themselves and lack mercy and grace.

Psalm 123 is a Song of Ascents.
A Song of Ascents was used by the ancient Israelites going on a pilgrimage to the temple to worship.

The Songs of Ascents songs they sang as they traveled expressed their faith at a deeper level trusting God’s mercy.

I am at Sunday Worship, I am gathering with other faithful Christians that understand their pilgrimage in life is a gift from God and trust in God’s mercy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...