Jul 1, 2024

A Sunday Pilgrimage Song

"As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master,
as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes look to the Lord our God,
until he has mercy upon us."
(from Psalm 123)

My way of "observing the Sabbath to keep it holy" (Ex.20.8) is by attending church somewhere on Sunday. 

When I am away, I usually locate a nearby United Methodist Church, or occasionally a Baptist, Presbyterian, or Episcopal church to experience the Spirit moving differently within them.

I make this Sunday Pilgrimage out of two needs, the first is by looking to God helps me focus on heaven where God is crowned as creator and ruler over all the earth.

Just as the servant and maid look hopefully to the master for providing, so I look hopefully to God for providing a sign of divine mercy as God completes God’s purposes for the world.

The second need comes from seeing a world filled with contempt by people in authority looking down on those around them.

The arrogant looking at the servants and maids in contempt and only look out for themselves and lack mercy and grace.

Psalm 123 is a Song of Ascents.
A Song of Ascents was used by the ancient Israelites going on a pilgrimage to the temple to worship.

The Songs of Ascents songs they sang as they traveled expressed their faith at a deeper level trusting God’s mercy.

I am at Sunday Worship, I am gathering with other faithful Christians that understand their pilgrimage in life is a gift from God and trust in God’s mercy.


No comments:

Post a Comment