Jul 22, 2024

Entering Deserted Places

The apostles gathered around Jesus,
and told him all that they had done and taught.
He said to them, “Come away to a deserted place
all by yourselves and rest a while.”
(From Mark 6:30-34)

Sometimes I just feel like I need a Creemee (Google it) to take me back to the beginning of my pastoral ministry in Vermont.

I feel a need to get grounded as I reflect on the road of my pastoral ministry and where I am still traveling.

Like the disciples, I have worked and taught faithfully in each parish and the Lord’s work in retirement.

I’m experiencing the world in a precarious, ever-changing situation politically, nationally and globally with continuous brutality and new challenges.

Jesus call to the disciples to “come away to a deserted place” seem like just the place to go.

Deserted places are critical places, places to get re-grounded.

Significantly, the Gospel of Mark begins in a deserted place: a wilderness of forty days.

Jesus is baptized in the Jordan, the heavens are opened, the Spirit descends on him and a voice says “You are my Son, the Beloved.”

This is the beginning of Jesus ministry to the broken, oppressed, marginalized people and where Jesus calls disciples to follow.

Here in Mark 6 Jesus in reminds the disciples of who will be there and what is necessary to remember as they build the Kingdom of God.

Come with me to a deserted place, says Jesus, and get grounded on your work.

I could drive 3hr. 30 min. and 202 miles to the nearest Creemee stand to get grounded again.

Grounding, it seems to me, has more to do with reflecting the Gospel’s beginning and Jesus standing with me as I continue building God’s Kingdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment