Skip to main content

Entering Deserted Places

The apostles gathered around Jesus,
and told him all that they had done and taught.
He said to them, “Come away to a deserted place
all by yourselves and rest a while.”
(From Mark 6:30-34)

Sometimes I just feel like I need a Creemee (Google it) to take me back to the beginning of my pastoral ministry in Vermont.

I feel a need to get grounded as I reflect on the road of my pastoral ministry and where I am still traveling.

Like the disciples, I have worked and taught faithfully in each parish and the Lord’s work in retirement.

I’m experiencing the world in a precarious, ever-changing situation politically, nationally and globally with continuous brutality and new challenges.

Jesus call to the disciples to “come away to a deserted place” seem like just the place to go.

Deserted places are critical places, places to get re-grounded.

Significantly, the Gospel of Mark begins in a deserted place: a wilderness of forty days.

Jesus is baptized in the Jordan, the heavens are opened, the Spirit descends on him and a voice says “You are my Son, the Beloved.”

This is the beginning of Jesus ministry to the broken, oppressed, marginalized people and where Jesus calls disciples to follow.

Here in Mark 6 Jesus in reminds the disciples of who will be there and what is necessary to remember as they build the Kingdom of God.

Come with me to a deserted place, says Jesus, and get grounded on your work.

I could drive 3hr. 30 min. and 202 miles to the nearest Creemee stand to get grounded again.

Grounding, it seems to me, has more to do with reflecting the Gospel’s beginning and Jesus standing with me as I continue building God’s Kingdom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Christian's Journey

"When he was at the table with them,  he took bread, blessed and broke it,  and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened,  and they recognized him." Luke 24:31,32a To me there there all kinds of road trips. They all have similarities such as destinations and travel experiences. Years ago Elaine and I took a camping trip out West. We drove Utah's Route 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks. This part of the road trip meant enjoying God's beautiful creation. One of the experiences we still laugh about was the constant daily lunch menu of PB&J sandwiches. Luke's major theme is traveling the Way. In the gospel, Jesus travel TO Jerusalem. In Luke's Acts, the disciples travel FROM Jerusalem proclaiming the Word Empowered by the Spirit. On the Emmaus road trip from Jerusalem, two disciples, probably Cleopas and his wife, experience a stranger's presence. The stranger reveals himself as Jesus by explaining what was said about him in the ...

Hope in Unexpected Twists and Turns

Hawk's Nest Overview "  Now on that same day  two of disciples were going to a  village called Emmaus,  about seven miles [  from Jerusalem,  and talking with each other  about all these things that had h9appened."  (from   Luke 24:13-35 ) The Hawk’s Nest is a scenic, cliff-hanging stretch of NY State Route 97 offering dramatic views of the Delaware River.   Originally a one-lane dirt road built in 1859, it is known for bald eagle sighting, scenic overlook, and its twists and turns.   "Just as the Hawk’s Nest Road winds unpredictably, so too do our days.   For example, one day started off unpredictably, with the electrician arriving at 7:30, followed by the plumber at 8:30, and then a sincere thank you note delivered in person at 9.   "Our current polarized society creates complex, unexpected twists and turns that are difficult to navigate." The Emmaus Road story is one of hope in times of twists and tu...

Traveling by Faith

 Now faith is the assurance  of things hoped for,  the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 No, I'm not still stuck on I-81 hoping to be on my way as soon as possible. A tow truck big enough to haul a tractor-trailer rushed past on the shoulder followed by a VDot pick-up. I had faith that somehow the road would be cleared or traffic detoured around the crash. Slowly, we came to an off ramp, were directed up it, across a main street and down a ramp onto I-81. We we on the road again. This, of course, is a shallow understanding of Hebrews 11:1.  For me, hope is in found in God's Word as I look at what is, could be, and should be as I head toward the "Highway of Holiness" to be among the righteous who walk on it. The author of Hebrews describes faith as assurance and conviction. Faith is trusting God. For example: By faith Abraham, was called to go somewhere to receive his inheritance. He obeyed and went, not knowing the destination. Faith is walking with ...